Let's Dance to HIS tune.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Feeding the masses

My mom was over at the house today.  We were working on her Bible Study Fellowship study.  We somehow got on the subject of the monthly food budget.

I have a friend who religiously goes through the Sunday paper to check all the sales, cut out the coupons ( from about 6 papers) compares and plans her weekly trips to various supermarkets to get the best deals.  And then does it again the following Sunday.

My philosophy is, if Costco, the fruit market or Trader Joe's doesn't have it, I probably don't need it.

Yes, there may be times I can get something at the supermarket for a little less. Yes, I could enjoy getting double coupon ( and admittedly sometimes I do) ( by chance more then purpose).Yes sometimes a variety in the shampoo we use would be lovely.


 But in the end,  a good game of Scrabble with my husband is so much more delightful.  Going over a friend's house for tea is more valuable.  Going for a walk ( in good weather) with one of the children, going to my parent's house or even sitting with my neighbor, Miss Sophia, quietly watching the world go by, but enjoying the companionship, is worth so much more to me.

I have felt guilty for YEARS over this.  I finally accepted myself for who I was in this.  John likes me better this way.  I think he prefers me spending more time on reading a good book to Samuel, then stopping at the next great bargain.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE BARGAINS.  But sometimes the best bargain for me is once a month shopping at Costco, once every 10 days shopping at the fruit market, and once every 3 weeks at Trader Joe's.   No going to more places and finding stuff I didn't realize I needed until I saw them.

So, my budget works for us.

And we are all okay with that.


3 comments:

Gena said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I go to Aldi, which is a small store out of Germany? I think. Their selection is small, but their prices are incredible. In fact, Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company. I love Trader Joe's, too, but there isn't one close enough for me. I'd have to drive about 45 minutes and that is just too far! I also go to B.J.'s (a warehouse club). I stopped feeling guilty about the coupons and now I usually just throw the entire booklet away.

TO BECOME said...

This is exactly how I feel on this subject. When I did try to clip coupons, I found that they were always for the more expensive brands anyway. So, I though why bother. It is cheaper for us the other way. I save all that money I use for gas driving here and yonder. So We are happy. Good post. connie from Texas

BumbleBee Bagz said...

Im with ya! I hate shopping and anything that has to do with it. I would much rather spend the time with my family...and the bags Im making are like the ones on my blog. when i get done with all these orders i will post pics of them!