Let's Dance to HIS tune.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, July 30, 2010

Last night, my husband and I decided to go someplace where we used to take our older children ALL THE TIME. First time we went was about 19 years ago.

Jerusalem Pizza.

Blast from the past. We haven't been there in so long Samuel who is 11 3/4 doesn't remember ever being there. It looks EXACTLY the same. With it's posters of The Sabras and The Israeli tourists, cab drivers, and maps of the Holy Land all over.

Jerusalem Pizza is in the lovely town of Highland Park. If we could afford it I would move there in a heart beat. It is such a family town and the houses are not big houses, but there is not one house that looks the same in the whole town. They are so neat and unusual.

It is mostly conservative Jews in the town, and the whole town shuts down Friday at sunset until Sunday. You see everyone walking on Saturday, regardless of the weather. And since they can only walk a little over a mile or it would be working, there are quite a few synagogues all over town. We also figured the taxes are probably low because 80% of the kids go to Jewish Day School or are homeschooled.

Anyway, back to the pizza place. I was raised to know more about the Jewish faith then my Catholic heritage. I almost converted at 15 because it was all I knew. SO the first time John ordered pizza, he went to the guy (in his kippah) ( the guy, not John) ( though John has his share of kippahs from having to go to synagogue for weddings/bar mitzvahs/funerals) and said " I would like to order a pepperoni pizza please."

I forgot I married an irishman who had never been around Jewish people.

I walked away and made believe I didn't know this ding-a-ling. Who would order such a thing. From a Jew. In a Kosher eatery.

I was young and stupid for not standing by my man.

I have apologized repeatedly for not instructing him and leaving him for dumb.

Now he knows the faith, customs & traditions better.

We remembered why we used to go there all the time.

And we will be back soon.


And I stand by my man much better now. :)

I leave you with this picture. My oldest child playing with my youngest child. I heard her cracking up outside. And This is what I found.


1 comment:

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Oh that pizza place and community sound so wonderful! And so funny about the pepperoni. Reminds me of the time my sister went into a Jewish deli and ordered a ham sandwich. Oops.

Love the picture...looks like he is about to swing her right into the tree!